Installing FC4 on a box when FC4 install kernel breaks HOWTO

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Tue Aug 23 13:38:31 UTC 2005

Since I'm sure there's other people around with fun hardware that just won't
work with the FC4 install kernel (Some of our IBM blades, Sun v40z), I'm
sure people would appreciate a "I just want to get it running and not mess
with rebuilding the entire damn distro with anaconda-runtime, which isn't
that well documented anyway" HOWTO :-).

Written from a PXE/kickstart point of view, if you want to do CD installs on
affected boxes, doing the full anaconda-runtime mess is probably easier.
I just wanted something with minimum possible changes to the install tree
and have unaffected boxes use the vanilla install images.

# Grab buildstamp from FC4 initrd
cd /tmp
mkdir initrd-fc4
cd initrd-fc4/
umask 022
zcat /tmp/fc4-initrd.img | cpio -i
cd ..

# Include it into rawhide initrd. Make initrd look for stage3.img instead so
the original can be kept for unaffected boxes
mkdir initrd-fc4-dev
cd initrd-fc4-dev
zcat /tmp/rawhide-initrd.img | cpio -i
cp .buildstamp .buildstamp.orig
cp ../initrd-fc4/.buildstamp .
find . | cpio -c -o | sed 's/stage2.img/stage3.img/;s/hdstg2.img/hdstg3.img/;s/netstg2.img/netstg3.img/' | gzip -9 > fc4-rawhide-initrd
cd ..

# Add modules from rawhide kernel to stage2
mount -o loop stage2-fc4.img /mnt
mount -o loop stage2-from-development.img /mnt2
mkdir /tmp/stage2
(cd /mnt; tar cvf - .) | (cd /tmp/stage2; tar xf -)
cd /tmp/stage2/modules
cp /mnt2/modules/* .
cd /tmp
mkcramfs stage2 stage3.img

(repeat for hdstg2 and netstg2 if required and rinse)

PXE boot rawhide kernel & modified initrd for affected boxes and Enjoy (tm)
:-). Obviously you'll want an updated kernel getting installed in your
kickstart, or the box might not boot afterwards.

Would be nice if this was somewhat easier and/or someone actually made
(semi-)official updated installer images available ;)