udev and pcmcia

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 23:59:30 UTC 2005

Hi, Harald:

I found that PCMCIA does not work on Rawhide with pcmciautils on my test
laptop. The problem is that /sbin/pcmcia-socket-startup is not run.
This happens when module yenta-socket is built statically into kernel,
which is how stock Fedora kernels are built. If yenta-socket is loaded
as a module, /sbin/udevsend gets an event, and udev runs
pcmcia-socket-startup because of a rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/pcmcia.rules:

SUBSYSTEM="pcmcia_socket"       RUN+="/sbin/pcmcia-socket-startup"

So, the question is: how do I make udev to run pcmcia-socket-startup
on boot if /sys/class/pcmcia_socket/ is not empty? Can I run custom
scripts on startup of udev? Or should I run this from
/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia? Running this program twice appears
to be harmless, so if udev is restarted it should be no problem.

-- Pete