udev and pcmcia

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 00:35:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:15:06 +0800, Jeff Pitman <symbiont at berlios.de> wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 August 2005 07:59, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> > This happens when module yenta-socket is built statically into
> > kernel, which is how stock Fedora kernels are built.
>
> Not here.  Unless I'm missing something.
> [root at kubik log]# uname -r
> 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4

I should have not used "stock Fedora" but "stock Rawhide".

[zaitcev at niphredil ~]$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.12-1.1483_FC5 (bhcompile at porky.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.0.1 20050810 (Red Hat 4.0.1-8)) #1 Sat Aug 13 20:41:53 EDT 2005
[zaitcev at niphredil ~]$ grep YENTA /boot/config-2.6.12-1.1483_FC5
CONFIG_YENTA=y

FC4 uses the old PCMCIA system with cardmgr (from pcmcia-cs RPM)
and FC5 uses the new system with pcmciautils.

BTW, this is a smaller problem than I thought. I'm going to throw
together a script for /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia. I ass-ume that
yum will handle the details automagically despite the name of
the script conflicting. Or perhaps I should use pcmcia-yenta.

I do not like to add scripts, because our boot times are atrocious
even as they are. However, I do not have a better idea. The udev
simply is not involved here. Socket startup has to happen before
udev can receive any plug/unplug messages.

-- Pete