RFC: X.Org X11 modularization project - rpm package driver naming

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Aug 27 02:24:08 UTC 2005

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Mike A. Harris writes:
>
>> Finally, the driver <name> field, is the official name of the
>> driver from the upstream tarballs, which generally is the
>> name of the driver binary that gets installed as well.
>

> I think it also make sense to subdivide <name> into
> <manufacturer>-<chipset>.  Looking at the existing drivers: such as
> "s3-virge", "s3-other"…

Some of the drivers support more than one chipset however,
so it would be inconsistent.

"ati" driver is actually a driver wrapper which loads one
of 3 chipset specific drivers:  'atimisc' for Mach64 and
older legacy ATI hardware (including ISA), r128 for Rage 128
chipset, and "radeon" for the Radeon and FireGL line.

The s3 or s3virge driver's both support more chipsets than
their names might suggest.  The "sis" driver up until
recently supported just SiS hardware, but now supports
XGI video hardware also, as the XGI hardware is a future
generation of what the SiS hardware was.

Likewise, the "cirrus" driver has 3 sub-drivers within one
driver package.  In some cases, more than one driver can
support a given card, such as the "glide" and "voodoo"
drivers - both of which support 3Dfx Voodoo I and II
hardware.

As such, trying to break the namespace down further doesn't
seem technically possible, and I'm not sure we'd gain much
by doing that.

Thanks nonetheless for the feedback!

Take care,
TTYL