OT: yum truncating (was: Re: RFC: X.Org X11 modularization project - rpm package driver naming)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 16:05:35 UTC 2005

On 8/27/05, Kyrre Ness Sjobak <kyrre at solution-forge.net> wrote:
> What about detecting terminal size (width) and adjusting output
> according to that (like less, top, etc. does)?

while a fancy technical feature... thats going to help a few people.
it doesn't really address the underlying issue. There are many many...
many 80 column terminals in use. If package names continue to expand
to 30 or 40 characters long.. this is a problem for anyone who is
using one of those "standard" 80 column terminals.  I think its
perfectly fair for packagers to be aware of common hardware
limitations like this and to try to keep the packagename strings down
below a certain length as much as possible.  There is a physical
constraint here.. 80 columns is very much a defacto standard..even
email clients understand that and attempt to respect that 79/80 column
line limit.  If packagenames inside this project need a 120 column
terminal to uniquely identify and use.. thats a package naming policy
problem.

-jef