Pipe dreams: yum-based anaconda a step towards on-line yum-based upgrades?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Dec 1 07:21:40 UTC 2005

Le mercredi 30 novembre 2005 à 22:10 -0500, Jeremy Katz a écrit :
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 23:00 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > And then a full release upgrade would just be
> > 1. update packages via yum
> > 2. the new fedora-release file depends on one or several firstboot
> > packages, which are therefore installed during the yum upgrade
> > 3. on installation these packages create a "distro upgrade" bootloader
> > entry, make it default and ask to reboot
> > 4. user reboots on this entry and the actions which can not be done on a
> > live system are performed.
>
> Except what happens when one of the packages you're updating requires
> some of the other changes that would have to be done by one your
> "firstboot packages"?  This isn't some sort of philosophical debate --
> it's something that comes up at least every other release if not every
> release.

I won't say such a thing does not exist, but continuous yumable rolling
rawhide would not be possible in this case, and my experience is you can
"forget" to go through anaconda most of the releases.

This could probably be solved by doing the package upgrade bit in
several passes

(Also please note several passes are only needed if some of those needed
bits must be done on a cold system - the rest is only normal package
install ordering yum does all the time, just make the packages that need
firstboot to be run depend on it)

--
Nicolas Mailhot