yum plugin suggestion or yum change?

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 5 19:47:53 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> I don't think I'm going to be able to support automated partial
> updates in any form aimed at desktop users until the tools understand
> how to distiguish security updates from non-security updates and know
> how to communicate that difference to users when there is an update
> problem that prevents a security update from installing.

Can the tools "know" that an update is a security update if the
announcement for it is marked [SECURITY] on fedora-announce-list? Does
it help if the announcement is wrapped in an RSS feed, like so:
http://rss.gmane.org/messages/complete/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.core.announce

>>She knows to take her car into the repair shop if the
>>engine light is on and i think we can manage the same effect on her
>>computer.
>
> Bad analogy to prove your point... the car doesn't try to
> automatically repair itself at night.

It's a great analogy. I'd be mighty grateful if my car tried to repair
itself at night, and only turned on "check engine" if the repair failed.