yum plugin suggestion or yum change?

Joshua Eichorn josh at bluga.net
Mon Dec 5 22:30:27 UTC 2005

You might also find the Windows Update FAQ informative:

I'll past it here since i'm pretty sure you need IE to view it.

*What is Windows Update?*
A Microsoft Web site that provides updates for Windows operating system
software and Windows-based hardware. Updates address known issues and
help protect against known security threats.

Tip:

    * If you turn on Automatic Updates, Windows Update can deliver high
      priority updates to your computer as they become available. You
      can decide when and how updates are installed.

*How does it work?*
When you visit the Web site, Windows Update scans your computer and
tells you which updates apply to your software and hardware. You choose
the updates that you want to install and how to install them.

*What types of updates can I get?*
Microsoft releases many types of updates
<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkID=22935> that address a broad
range of issues. To make it easier for you to get the most important
updates—updates that help protect your computer and your
information—Windows Update uses these categories:

    * *High priority*
      Critical updates, security updates, service packs, and update
      rollups that should be installed as soon as they become available
      and before you install any other updates.
    * *Software (optional)*
      Non-critical fixes for Windows programs, such as Windows Media®
      Player and Windows Journal Viewer 1.5.
    * *Hardware (optional)*
      Non-critical fixes for drivers and other hardware devices, such as
      video cards, sound cards, scanners, printers, and cameras.

*What’s the difference between Express and Custom?*

    * *Express (recommended)* displays all high priority updates for
      your computer so that you can install them with one click. This is
      the quickest and easiest way to keep your computer up to date.
    * *Custom* displays high priority and optional updates for your
      computer. You review and select the updates that you want to
      install, one by one.

*Do I need to install optional updates?*
No. Optional updates address minor issues or add non-critical
functionality to your computer. It is more important to install high
priority updates so that your computer gets the latest critical and
security-related software.

*Can I get updates automatically?*
Yes, if you turn on *Automatic Updates*. Windows will check for the
latest high priority updates for your computer and install them
according to your Automatic Updates setting.

*Is Automatic Updates the same as Windows Update?*
Yes, but Automatic Updates delivers only high priority updates. To get
optional updates, you still need to visit the Windows Update Web site.

*What is Automatic Updates?*
It’s a feature that works with Windows Update to deliver critical and
security-related updates as they become available. When you turn on
Automatic Updates (recommended), Windows automatically looks for high
priority updates for your computer. You decide how and when the updates
are installed.

*How can I get more information about an update before I install it?*
Click the name of each update to view its description. To view system
requirements and support information, click the *Details* link provided
in each description.

*Do I have to do anything to install an update?*
Sometimes. Some updates require you to accept an End User License
Agreement (EULA), answer a question about the installation process, or
restart your computer before you can install them.

*What happens if I select "Don't show me this update again"?*
Windows Update will no longer ask you to review or install that update.
However, if you hide a high priority update, you might be reminded that
you’re missing an update that is critical to the security of your computer.

*If I hide an update, how do I get it back later?*
On the Windows Update Web site, click *Restore hidden updates*, and then
review and install the updates that you want.

*How often does Windows Update release new updates?*
Security-related updates are released once a month. However, if a
security threat occurs, such as a widespread virus or worm that affects
Windows-based computers, Microsoft will release a corresponding update
as soon as possible.

Other types of updates are released whenever they are ready. It’s a good
idea to turn on Automatic Updates so that your computer can receive high
priority updates as they become available.