yum plugin suggestion or yum change?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Dec 5 22:43:47 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 12/5/05, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>> A fully automated
>
> Are you sure about that? I could have sworn that MS categorizes
> updates into shades  and delibrately holds back some available updates
> where are non-critical(non-security) from the automatic process.

MS reasons for holding back some stuff are not applicable to Fedora.
Fedora userbase is not segmented between legitimate users (which can get
full updates by going through a portal) and freeloaders (which MS would
dearly love to leave in the dust, but can not for PR reasons).

If you really worry about missed critical updates make partial updating
a repo parameter, separate critical updates from other stuff and set
partial=false for the critical update channel.

I contend you'll get the same results by simply counting how many times
a package fails updating and warning when it gets over some threshold,
but if having one repo where yum balks at the first problem makes you
happier, you can do it this way too.

--
Nicolas Mailhot