yum plugin suggestion or yum change?

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Tue Dec 6 15:30:07 UTC 2005

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> MS reasons for holding back some stuff are not applicable to Fedora.
> Fedora userbase is not segmented between legitimate users (which can get
> full updates by going through a portal) and freeloaders (which MS would
> dearly love to leave in the dust, but can not for PR reasons).

    Not just PR.  Windows computers running a stolen operating system
are a threat to Windows computers running a legitimate operating system
-- and,  when traffic levels get high,  to all other computers.  Also,
there are a lot of Windows installations that are paid up but the
licenses aren't quite in order:  a lot of sites use tools like Ghost to
maintain desktops,  and it's hard to get licensing right in that situation.

    Similar pressures would apply to RHEL 4 if RHEL 4 were an attractive
target.

    Overall,  my experience is that packages become unupdatable over
time in a rawhide or FC# system -- most of the time these are packages I
don't care about,  so I throw them overboard.  If something I cared
about became unupdatable,  I'd have a real problem.