Upgrade between FC5 test releases.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 15:27:53 UTC 2005

On 12/7/05, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> yum list obsoletes doesn't do it enough?

doesn't that compare installed state to repospace?
I'm wishing for something that wasn't dependant on my installed state
where I could take a stab at reviewing what obsoletes get fired from
one "repo state" to another just from available repodata regardless of
my system install state.

Why? As a first cut I could ask questions like  "what obsoletes would
fire on a system that is fc2+legacy to fc5 upgrade" without having to
be on an fc2+legacy system.  Or "what are the obsoletes that fire from
an everything install of fc4+fe4 upgraded to rawhide today" without
having to have a system in the fc4+fe4 everything state to start with.

I have no idea if this sort of offline analysis of repodata will
reveal any problems, so its hard to judge if its worth the effort to
do this sort of offline situational "whatif" testing.. hard to know
until I do it.

And up to this point, everytime I've come up with a goofball question
that I want to ask against repodata, Panu has responded with some sort
of tweak to a util in yum-utils. I really blame Panu for continuing to
enable me to ask odder and odder questions with repodata.

-jef