yum clean bug

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Fri Dec 9 08:15:06 UTC 2005

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On 12/8/05, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Perhaps "disabled" should be split into multiple options?  disable-install,
> >> disable-clean, etc?
> >

> > dear god... that level of command granularity is madness.. absolute madness.
> >
> > +1
> > for adding text in the manpage which states that if you want to clean
> > to act on all configured repositories  to --enablerepo=*  during clean
> > operations.
>
> If you've asked "all" in the first place that was precisely to nuke
> everything no questions asked. You didn't ask about particular repos,
> you asked yum to clean all its temp data
>
> Also, the FHS states clearly :
>
> « /var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such data is
> locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or calculation. The
> application must be able to regenerate or restore the data. Unlike
> /var/spool, the cached files can be deleted without data loss. »
>
> So if the yum cache must be preserved to prevent data loss (as Seth
> writes), it has no place in /var/cache. It can be nucked at any time by
> yum or something else (« The application must always be able to recover
> from manual deletion of these files (generally because of a disk space
> shortage »).
>
> yum clean all behaviour may be familiar to yum developpers, but it's
> contrary to both English (all is no longer everything) and accepted
> Linux standards (cache is no longer disposable)

If I intentionally protect my web browser's cache from deletion through
some reconfiguration in order to audit the cache, maintain certain
cached content to speed up a future process, etc., that doesn't change
the fact that it is cached, and I wouldn't want my browser to ignore me
and erase it.  If I've disabled a repository, that means I'm telling yum
to forget about it.  The same is true if I delete the configuration.
This is not a violation of standards.  It isn't a violation of English,
either.  When I use 'yum clean all', I'm telling yum to 'clean all of
that cached data in the enabled repositories'.  Not that any of this is
relevant.  The point is moot.  You're beating a dead horse.  The options
lie before you, and I'm sincerely sorry if you disagree with the
decision, but we need to move on.  This isn't worth it.  You're welcome
to do anything within your power to solve the problem in your eyes.
You're welcome, in fact, to download the source code to yum and modify
it to do your bidding.  If you really feel like helping others who feel
the way you do, you can improve the documentation for yum to make its
operation more clear.  You could also write a tool/script/plugin to do
whatever you like, and can then submit that item to Extras or ask that
it be included in an existing package (yum-utils).  Don't pointlessly
drag out this thread.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com