yum clean bug

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 15:10:00 UTC 2005

On 12/9/05, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> yum clean all behaviour may be familiar to yum developpers, but it's
> contrary to both English (all is no longer everything)
you are absolutely right.. we should make it clearer.
To do any operation it should require a full proper english sentence.

yum please clean ALL the cached data of the configured repositories
yum please clean ALL the cached data of the enabled repositories
yum please clean ALL the cached data of the disabled repositories
yum pretty please clean ALL of the packages in all configured repositories

No more cmdline switches that confuse people  across the different
operations that intuition dictates be used inconsistently. Someone
should jump on bolting in a yum plugin for natural language input.
Though I'm personally holding out for the directly neural interface so
i can build the mind-reading plugin.

> and accepted
> Linux standards (cache is no longer disposable)

I'll go ahead and file an RFE for the fedora core yum package to set
cachedir explicitly to cachedir=/var/spool/yum in fedora core so we
can avoid this argument in the future.  Though I might suggest a new
directory
spache  that is part spool and part cache... or maybe the directory
should be called cool for part cache and part spool.

-jef"You got your cache in my spool... you got your spool in my
cache....mmmmm."spaleta