install problem with fc devel as of dec 10

Patrick Mansfield patmans at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 13 02:52:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 09:33:50PM -0500, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 05:59:17PM -0800, Patrick Mansfield wrote:
> > Has anyone been able to do a full install recently with fc devel?
>
> I just completed one with today's rawhide (2005-12-12)
>
> > My system is not rebooting after the rpm install step completes.
>
> Are you getting a kernel panic after the initial booting?

Yes ...

> Append "selinux=0" to the boot line and Init will start up properly.

I don't know if grub worked or not, I'll re-try this for the install
kernel boot.

> > I've searched recent bugs and found nothing ...
>
> You should also be subscribed to the fedora-test-list if you are doing
> rawhide installs.  This has been mentioned there several times.

There? No wonder why I missed them :)

Really: OK, but that is not what I understood from reading posts on
fc-devel. I still do not understand the difference between the devel and
test lists, that is development work done with FC devel implies testing.

> > I've booted install kernels via both copies of the pxeboot images (copied
> > to my local disk) and then via CDROM.
>
> I used the boot.iso to boot fine.  I had to add the selinux=0 to get the
> reboot to proceed properly.

> > The main thing I notice is this dmesg output:
> >
> > audit(1134461372.947:68): avc:  denied  { execmem } for  pid=9577 comm="grub" scontext=system_u:system_r:anaconda_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:system_r:anaconda_t:s0 tclass=process
> >
> > I would think something would have been output to the gui or serial line
> > if grub failed to run/install.
>
> No, selinux is interfering with the reboot because no contexts have been
> yet set for the system(?)

Yes, but I'd still expect to see some sort of error message.

Guess there is a bug somewhere in the installer.

> > I can try installing again, installs are taking about 3 hours or so for me
> > (older x86 box ... no network/pxe boot), the dependency checking alone
> > seems to take 20 minutes or so. So, I can re-run and get more information,
> > but it will take some time.
>
> Try the selinux trick and see if that works.

OK thanks!

-- Patrick Mansfield