funny user moment (and perhaps a bug)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Dec 15 13:07:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 01:47 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 09:24 +1100, Darren Steven wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just one question about this thread. Are local and remote the same user?
> > If so, won't there be some reuse of the daemons etc that handle dbus
> > interaction etc.
> >
> > I know with kde that it is a bit scary running 2x sessions as the same
> > user. Things don't always behave. Not sure about gnome
>
> GNOME brings up a dialog warning you that you're already logged in if
> you try and log in twice. Its not very strongly worded, but the
> implication is "please don't do that".
>
> One of the more annoying things is you can't run more than one copy of
> Galeon. Trying to launch a second copy only results in the original copy
> opening a new window in the original session. And the gnome panel tends
> to get a bit flaky. Etc...
>
> IMHO this is really broken. You should be able to log in to GNOME more
> than once. After all, you can log in as many times as you want to a
> shell. Seems like a horrible regression of functionality as far as unix
> philosophy is concerned.

Hmm, what the heck for?  That's what Desktop->Preferences->Remote
Desktop is for, really.  What's the case for logging in twice?  Shell
and desktop are so totally different that I'm not convinced that they
should operate the same way here (not that my opinion matters, really).
Should we expect all applications that provide GUI to put in a ton of
work to account for a case that a fairly small number of people might
actually use?

Dan