Fedora meeting Mono Half-Way

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Dec 15 17:04:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 17:35 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On 12/15/05, Paul A Houle <ph18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> > Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> > > Actually, I am wondering about this topic from some time, that is,
> > > what is done in Beagle with Mono that is so difficult to be done in C
> > > or C++ ?
> > >
> >     Automatic memory management,  no buffer overflows because the
> > authors didn't do string handling with superhuman care,  OO programming
> > model where people use objects to model the problem domain rather than
> > spend 20 years arguing about how to implement a linked list.
> >

> Despite I know _zero_ C#, your list list seems to be quite fulfilled
> by C++ (or, if you want to stick to higher level languages, python). I
> guess Peter's answer should be nearer to reality...

I'm not sure what you mean. You can have whatever opinions of various
languages you like. The fact is that beagle is written in c#, thus
requiring mono.

Can you rewrite something similar to beagle in another language? Of
course you can, but thats a completely different proposition than adding
"beagle without mono". For one, it would require multiple man years of
work (beagle has seen a lot of work by many people already).

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a jaded umbrella-wielding firefighter living undercover at Ringling Bros.
Circus. She's a cold-hearted red-headed nun with a knack for trouble. They
fight crime!