Fedora meeting Mono Half-Way

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Dec 15 17:35:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 11:13:19AM -0500, Paul A Houle wrote:
>    Automatic memory management,  no buffer overflows because the
> authors didn't do string handling with superhuman care,  OO programming

Umm actually thats a very dangerous assumption. If the implementation in
mono is wrong then every app in mono has the hole. We've seen this occur
historically in other 'safe' languages. Also if there are bugs in libraries
it uses they end up everywhere

> model where people use objects to model the problem domain rather than
> spend 20 years arguing about how to implement a linked list.

g_list, g_string and friends already provide that interface set in C and
fairly efficiently. Most gnome C apps use them and GNOME has had almost no
buffer overrun problems. Lots of other problems but not those.

If you don't use the tools properly you don't get good results. Thats
nothing to do with mono