bittorrent in core? what frontend?

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Dec 15 22:14:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 16:23 -0500, Jack Tanner wrote:
> John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > Not sure but I think the one in core should be the simplest.  Click on
> > a .torrent file and a nice little progress bar pops up to tell you the
> > status and perhaps sits in the notification area.  By all means though,
> > get Azureus to work and find someone to package it into extras.
>
> I don't mean to get into "my favorite client is X" debate, but if we're
> picking something for core, I'd argue for picking a client that people
> really love.[1] I've never used Azureus, but by that reasoning, since
> Azureus is regularly on sf.net's most downloaded/highest activity lists,
> it's a good choice. The "safe but boring" default client is a bad choice.
>
> [1]
> http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2005/12/being_brave_is_.html

And what happens when app XYZ becomes the flavor of the month?
Remember, not having it as the default doesn't mean it is not there.
>From the responses on this thread I would really encourage someone to
package Azureus up for extras because people do seem to love it.  I can
imagine torrents becoming just like regular download.  Oh how I would
hate it if every time I went to download a new tarball a huge management
window would pop up.  All I would want is something to tell me it is
downloading and notify me when it is finished.