kernel-2.6.14-1.1653_FC4.netdev.6?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Fri Dec 16 22:56:17 UTC 2005

On Friday, 16 December 2005 at 14:12, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:59:52PM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>
> > Oh, BTW: any chance of including something like:
> > CONFIG_STANDALONE=n
> > CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=n
>
> I'm not sure what these would buy for us?  Looks like we would just
> be cutting-out support for some drivers...?

AFAIR without them the following are inactive.

> > CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT=y
> > CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT_FILE="/lib/firmware/DSDT.hex"
> > in Fedora kernel config?
>
> These probably send shudders up the spines of anyone involved w/
> supporting Fedora kernels.  I would not expect to see them enabled
> in any "official" Fedora kernels anytime soon.

ACK. Note to myself: tell everyone NOT to buy Acer laptops if you want
Linux on it.

> > This Acer has a really broken ACPI DSDT and I wish I didn't have to rebuild
> > every new kernel.
>
> You may wish to look here:
>
> 	http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/dsdt/
> 	http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/fc4/

Thanks.

> Please note that the FC4.jwltest kernels do _not_ have the collection
> of upstream networking fixes that are in the FC4.netdev series.
> Also, don't blame me if you laptop explodes...ha-ha, only serious.

:)
Anyway, until "DSDT in initrd" patch becomes part of FC kernels, I might
as well stick to what I do, because changing a few config params is far
less invasive and time consuming than applying a patch to released kernels.

Regards,
R.

--
APT/YUM RPM repository for Fedora Core http://rpm.greysector.net/
mpg321, xmp, faad2, lame, mad, *mplayer*, rdesktop, tin, xvid, mks, mutt