bittorrent in core? what frontend?

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 17 19:32:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, December 17, 2005 2:27 pm, Jesse Keating said:

> The point is more that we don't want random applications poking holes in
> firewalls that are beyond the system.  All it takes is for some exploit
> to be discovered within the btclient, and whammo.
>
> I'm sorry that BT is so difficult to use that you have to futz with
> firewalls.  But I don't feel that it is Fedora's place to allow
> applications to poke holes in firewalls not even on the system.

It's not just bit-torrent that's only the current example.   If you want
to imagine every possible future exploit you'd never connect any computer
to the internet.

The point is setting things up to work easily and with little fuss for the
average user.   Taking advantage of the facilities provided by their
network to make life easier for them.   For those people who don't like
this feature they can (and should!) disable UPnP on their router because
any random appliation could be using it on them otherwise.

Really, this introduces very little risk and adds quite a bit of
simplification for the average user and is very easy to shut off for
anyone who just isn't comfortable with it.

Sean