booting notebooks vs. suspend (was Re: boot faster)

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 16:13:27 UTC 2005

> On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 13:42 +0000, Cam wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious that people would be worried about boot times when it's much
> > faster to suspend and resume. I use a notebook every day but only reboot
> > when there's a new kernel or something has gone badly wrong.
>
> Swapping batteries.  Rebooting into another OS.  Booting to a new
> kernel.
>
> There are many reasons why a full boot will be done.
>
> --

Umm... I rarely boot my machines (once in a couple of months), but I'd
venture to guess that if suspend-resume was bullet-proof, people would
have rebooted their machine only in the cases above, which are pretty
rare events for most Linux users.
Plus, I might be wrong here, but doesn't suspend to disk theoretically
allows you to suspend, switch to Windows (*spit!), and pick up where you
left once you switch back to Linux?

Gilboa