Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Dec 23 12:36:53 UTC 2005

Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> Hi all,
> is this announce from Fluendo referenced here:
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=13078
> already being discussed at Fedora Legal?
>
> It would be really nice to finally have mp3 support OUTB in Fedora.

If my understanding is correct, this does NOT means mp3 support "out of
the box" in Fedora.

It appears Fluendo got redistribution rights for binaries, not for
source code - the relevant passage is "If you are living in a country
where the mp3 patents don't apply you can of course use the source code".

So, again, if I understood correctly, Fedora will not include this
plugin (because the distribution of sources is still covered by patents)
but will be free to link to a page hosting the binaries. That or Fedora
will go to the darkside and include binaries and no sources.

--
nicu
my hats collection: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/hats/