Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Dec 23 17:04:17 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 12/23/05, Patrick Barnes <nman64 at n-man.com> wrote:
>> One of Fedora's policies is to enable downstream rebuilds and
>> redistribution.
>
> 1) Fedora already has software where rebuilds are constrained by trademark law.
> I can not modify mozilla however i want and rebuild it and
> re-distribute it as "mozilla" because of mozilla's trademark policy. I
> have to get mozilla's permission to reuse the trademark and the
> branding. Fedora is already rebuilding 'impure' in the trademark
> sense.

And this does not matter at all because you still can produce a legit
isofunctional package starting from Fedora sources (with a little work).
This particular case is very different : the result of a rebuilt will
*never* be legal, even with some code patching. So IMHO it's a big NO-GO.

The essence of the FOSS movement is you can take up from where others
left you, and this offer clearly forbids this

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot