VMWare tools on Fedora Core 5

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 21:21:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 15:26 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 14:17 -0600, William Lovaton wrote:
> > I've been doing some testing of RawHide on a virutal
> > machine I configured a few days ago with VMWare 5.5.1
> > build-19175.  Every thing is working fine except that
> > I can't install the VMWare tools on the guess
> > operating system to improve performance and imrpove
> > the display settings so I can use a decent resolution,
> > right now am stuck with 800 x 600.
> >
> > Any idea about how to install the VMWare tools on FC5
> > guess OS?  when I try to do it gnome-volume-manager
> > crashes and it doesn't do anything, any attempt to
> > restart g-v-m results in a immediate crash.  The only
> > way to fix it is to cancel the installation of the
> > VMWare tools and then g-v-m can be started normally
> > again.
> >
> > I hope it can be done because that performance gain
> > would be great, all in all I am very impressed with
> > FC5 performance.
>
> VMware doesn't provide a driver for X.org 7.0. It isn't needed though,
> as X.org already contains a FOSS driver for the VMware video card; you
> just need to select a better monitor in the Display properties.

I was under the impression that the VMWare tools also include support
for DMA to hard disk, which drops the CPU load considerably on my box,
and also better networking support in the pcnet32 driver.  (I am only
running 5.5.0 right now, so I don't know about 5.5.1.)  I don't know how
to solve the g-v-m problem; I manually mounted the CD instead to install
the tools, and restarted g-v-m after installing the tools.