FC5 and Yum Plugins

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Dec 29 17:18:00 UTC 2005

Am Donnerstag, den 29.12.2005, 11:50 -0500 schrieb Brian Long:
> On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 11:28 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On 12/29/05, Brian Long <brilong at cisco.com> wrote:
> > > I would think it would be in the best interest of the Fedora team to
> > > install protectbase by default, enable it and protect Fedora repos.  If
> > > power users want to disable it, it's very easy.
> > > Am I off-base in this request?  :)
> > Have you spoken with the atrpms and freshrpms maintainers? Do you have
> > their agreement that turning this on is in the best interest of their
> > users?
>
> Nope.  I don't know that it's up to me or the Fedora project to contact
> each third-party repo maintainer when Fedora implements a change.  I'm
> asking Fedora to consider a change.  If Fedora decides to implement that
> change for the "protection" of their users and repos, the third party
> repos would shoot themselves in the foot if they started scripting
> around the protection!  IMHO, they would lose credibility.

They don't override base Fedora RPMs just for fun, they afaik do it
because some of the their packages need fixes and/or enhancements that
are not in the base Fedora RPMs (correct me if I'm wrong here).

So if you protect the Core packages some packages in the 3rd-Party might
not work (or not perfectly). So it probably creates more problems for
the user and the 3rd party repo maintainer than it solves.

> I believe there are 2 types of 3rd party repo users:
>
> 1) Fedora user who needs 3rd party repos for certain apps but never
> wants that repo to override base Fedora RPMs

Then use a 3rd party repo that does not override Fedora Core or Extras
RPMS. Yes, such a repo exists, but no, I still has no mythtv -- nobody
stepped up to package it there. Any volunteers?

CU
thl