FC5 and Yum Plugins

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Dec 29 19:44:39 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 07:47:26PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> On Jeu 29 décembre 2005 18:18, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 29.12.2005, 11:50 -0500 schrieb Brian Long:
> >>
> >> I believe there are 2 types of 3rd party repo users:
> >>
> >> 1) Fedora user who needs 3rd party repos for certain apps but never
> >> wants that repo to override base Fedora RPMs
> >
> > Then use a 3rd party repo that does not override Fedora Core or Extras
> > RPMS. Yes, such a repo exists, but no, I still has no mythtv -- nobody
> > stepped up to package it there. Any volunteers?
>
> I suspect this will happen real soon after ivtv is merged in upstream
> kernel and appears in Raw Hide (ivtv is currently being merged with v4l,
> which will be then merged upstream)
>
> There's no real point in packaging mythtv cleanly when the driver most
> users need is not available easily without all sorts of fugly kernel
> patching.

You assume that mythtv users are mostly using PVR x50 cards? I think
most are doing DVB based setups (or ATSC) instead, which is in modern
FC kernels. The existence or not of a driver is not very much relevant
for mythtv/freevo or friends. In fact the driver <-> application model
is quite orthogonal (and that is good).

> I know I will donate personnaly packaging time if necessary to make it
> happen. But there's no real point now, packaging mythtv is one thing,
> messing with the kernel is another. I have a lot of repect for the people
> that try to maintain kernel modules in FE or livna but little wish to join
> them.

There are rpms for ivtv since two or three years at
ATrpms. BTW ATrpms even hosts the ivtv project ...
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net