FC5 and Yum Plugins

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Fri Dec 30 13:42:13 UTC 2005

On 12/30/2005 07:13:22 AM, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > I dont use them so I am neutral on that. Only talking about users here.
> >
> > I'm in the position of being both a user and a contributor to one of said
> > 3rd-party repositories[1]. I definitely still want to support Fedora Core.

> > > Getting bug reports based on packages being replaced isnt exactly a non
> > > issue.
> >
> > Axel, I have to agree with Rahul here. While it isn't "broken", per se, its
> > definitely an issue. There are quite a few people who are rather adverse to
> > the way ATrpms, if enabled in full, replaces core packages, but still want to
> > use a number of ATrpms packages. I know that (at least most of ;) the reasons
> > for ATrpms replacing core packages are pure, at least from ATrpms' point of
> > view, but there's something to be said for only upgrading what *must* be
> > upgraded to add a new program.
> >
> > I think the majority of users who complain about ATrpms replacing core
> > packages are what I'd call power-users, who are bright enough to enable
> > protectbase for themselves, so protectbase off by default sounds reasonable
> > to me. I think it gives those power-users what they want, and minimizes
> > headaches for 3rd-party repo maintainers from sheeple who just want an mp3
> > player (or mythtv ;).
>
> ahm, the issue is about enabling this by default, not whether it the
> plugin itself makes it into the release.

Jarod described my position to a T. I use some, but not all possible ATrpms,
so I am grateful for Axel's work, and the last thing I want to do is alienate
him or have him stop caring about fedora. While I would like the distribution
to contain protectbase, I'd have no problem swithching it on, so a compromise
that it is shipped disabled would be fine with me.

Regards, Willem Riede.