lib problem KDE3.5.0

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Sat Dec 31 09:15:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 09:54 +0100, Dave R wrote:
> I recently tried building packages of kde-3.5.0 on FC3, during
> compiling ran into error of non existent file for
> /lib/libattr.la and /lib/libacl.la
>
> to correct libattr.la I made a symlink in /lib.  I didn't really like
> this method but seems to have worked
>
> I noticed for libacl-devel libacl.la has been removed by the spec
> file.  If I removed the rm line would this cause any issues

it sounds really broken that you static link to this lib. Shared
libraries are good. Shared libraries mean that if there's a security
hole in one of them, you don't need to replace the entire distribution!
(I still remember zlib from a few years ago ;-)

esp something as extended attributes sounds like semi-security sensitive
so I wonder why Fedora even ships the .a at all...