ntpd startup too early + hangs

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Feb 2 14:03:58 UTC 2005

--On Wednesday, February 02, 2005 7:59 AM -0500 Dan Williams
<dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:

> Problem is that ntpd is too dumb to know when you have a network
> connecction and  when you don't.  NetworkManager can't be started earlier
> because dbus & hal  aren't started early, because they are installed in
> /usr and that's not  guaranteed to be mounted until somewhere in the
> middle of the boot process.   ntpd needs to be smarter about when it does
> & does not look for servers based on  whether or not there's a connection.

Best place to discuss changes to that program would be the ntp newsgroup,
comp.protocols.time.ntp.

I was going to suggest bringing up ntpd with the network ifup script, but
you want ntpd to run with no connections to compensate for drift in the
native hardware clock. Some setups may not use the network for time but
would use a local source like a GPS receiver, and only act as servers to
other systems.