Why is sendmail bad?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Feb 28 16:45:37 UTC 2005

--On Saturday, February 26, 2005 2:25 PM -0600 Chris Adams
<cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:

> That's fine if you are building a workstation-only system, but are you
> also going to drop Apache, OpenLDAP, vsftpd, ...?

I guess that depends on what Fedora is being targeted for, and how
aggressive one wants to be about slimming down the distro to fit on less
media.

But note that I didn't say "drop", just move to Extras. Presumably Fedora
*Core* could switch to a bare-bones workstation install with capability
equivalent to XP Home (which lacks an MTA), and everything else moved to
Extras for advanced users who want server capability. And unlike XP Pro and
Windows 2003, you still get to add all that functionality for *free*. Basic
users can get a working installation from a magazine CD, and the rest can
download additional content for the fancy stuff.