process to changing default of CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=4 to 24

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Sat Jan 1 14:23:32 UTC 2005

What then is the process to request that a change be made in the default configuration
to have CONFIG_SERIAL_NR_UARTS=24 and not the present default of 4.

THanks,

jerry

-----------------------

I would suggest a configuration issue, not a bug.  The kernel config
for 2.6.9 - 681 shows:

CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=y
..
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=4
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_EXTENDED=y
..
CONFIG_SERIAL-8250_MULTIPORT=y

The default configuration between Red Hat 9 and Fedora Core 3 at the
kernel level has changed.  Your configuration is a bit different than
what is normally used in other words.

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:15:09 -0500, Jerry Geis <geisj pagestation com> wrote:

>> All
>>
>> I just installed FC3 from Redhat 9. I have a quatech multiport card with
>> 8 ports.
>> Under redhat 9 there was no problem card was detect and I had ports 4 - 11.
>> Under FC3 the card is detected but the order of the ports is ALL messed up.
>> I am attempt to change the CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS to 24.
>> I am recompiling the kernel now. I chose 24 to support 3 - 8 port serial
>> cards.
>>
>> Is this a configuration bug or oversite or what is going on that my 8
>> port multiport
>> card is not supported that worked fine under redhat 9.
>>
>> THanks,
>>
>> Jerry

-- This message was scanned for spam and viruses by BitDefender. For
more information please visit http://linux.bitdefender.com/
******************************* This message has been blocked because it
scored over the maximum spam threshold. The reason your message was
denied was because of the following: Yes, score=5.0 required=5.0
tests=USERNAME_IN_SUBJECT autolearn=no version=3.0.0 Your message
contained an instance of the previously mentioned tests (see test=
above) If you did not send the original message then please ignore this
e-mail. Sat Jan 1 09:18:02 EST 2005