some changes for (slightly) faster boot

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Tue Jan 4 06:50:13 UTC 2005

> IMO the root problem if this breaks is mixing of autoprobe data with
> user configuration. We need to fix it by unmixing those things, not by
> breaking autoprobe or losing people's config files.

Sure.  But actually my problem doesn't need this sort of general solution.
Rather, it needs the separation of what's kudzu's bidness and what ain't,
which has already been mentioned.  That is, for the case of network cards,
I want to have custom configuration for "eth0" and when I swap out the
motherboard and there is a different NIC flavor now, kudzu is damn helpful
in updating the idea of what driver "eth0" means and I need it for that.
So if that part of it is separated out into network-manager or whatever,
I would just have that configured not to change anything automagically and
be happy (disable network-manager, I guess, since I don't know what it is).