some changes for (slightly) faster boot

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Tue Jan 4 17:05:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 19:02 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 03:36:53PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > with less clue accidentally hit return and let it remove some configuration.
> > That is, it's never what I want when there is actual software configuration
> > involved, not just presence-and-flavor-of-the-hardware configuration.
>
> Ditto. My laptop has a docking station that kudzu simply doesn't grok. The
> fact I can tell kudzu to just leave all existing configuration behind is
> pretty essential since every boot docked or undocked it discovers new
> hardware or removed hardware.

But you can't possibly believe that this is the right behavior??? To
have to manually interact with the startup every time to keep it from
deleting useful information?

If there is information that needs to be kept around per-device, then it
should
be stored keyed to the device even when the device isn't there.

(WEP key isn't one of those... that's per-network not per network-device
and shouldn't
be in the device configuration at all; I think NetworkManager handles it
correctly.)

Regards,
					Owen