some changes for (slightly) faster boot

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Jan 4 21:20:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 16:08 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 03:11:36PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > - Keyboard: what's the key layout
> > >
> > These all look like per-user preferences to me.  So they should be
> > stored in GConf.
>
> So you don't believe people should be able to log in. Let me set your box
> to default to gdm with an azerty keyboard and left handed mouse and then see
> if you still think its a per user preference.

I don't understand this; clearly if I have to use an azerty keyboard
layout I'm screwed whether or not you set it on the system or just for
my user.  How is this different from you setting azerty as the default
in the Xorg conf file?

> Oh and perhaps with the video at a resolution your monitor can't handle.

At least with modern monitors it's my understanding the X server knows
what the monitor supports (DDC or something?).  So the system could
prevent a user from changing their preference to something invalid.
Thus it becomes a preference rather than a setting.

> Lots of these are both system preferences

GConf does have an idea of a default preference.

>  and user ones with the user able
> to configure some properties or properties within a constraint set by the
> system (eg video mode).

Sure, I agree the system should only accept valid input from the user.