some changes for (slightly) faster boot

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jan 4 21:41:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 16:14 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 03:45:19PM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > right now so this can't 100% apply), then why not have the default X
> > configuration just be something sane given the monitor.  ie, if it's a
> > flat panel, you want the native resolution of the panel, otherwise you
> > want just a basic resolution.  It's not like logging in requires a lot
> > of screen real estate.
>
> The only "safe" resolution without DDC is 640x480 at 60Hz 31.5Khz (ie VGA)
> unless it is a panel. gdm doesn't work at 640x480 in our setup (bugzilla'd
> about RH8, never fixed). (TV out is an exception but we don't really handle
> TV out sanely yet anyway so its not a revert)

One nice thing about having X set the defaults is that (in general) the
X drivers know the card-specific probing routines for what monitor is
attached and so we don't have to rely on the admittedly crappy
information you can get with real mode monitor probing.  And then a lot
more becomes "safe"

Jeremy