some changes for (slightly) faster boot

Jonathan Andrews jon at jonshouse.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 01:35:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 01:05, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 12:59:40AM +0000, Jonathan Andrews wrote:
> > ^^ I would just like to stick my foot in and say that redhat break
> > TV-out installs on most hardware with "setsysfont". This seems to render
> > most ATI based cards black in way that even starting X doesnt recover
> > from.
>
> New one on me - is this in bugzilla ?

I cant find in fedora bugzilla - but I also cant find much reference to
setsysfont. I mentioned it on a developers list about a year ago and was
told no simple work around was possible, but ive long since
lost/forgotten the details.

"setsysfont" is part of what component ?

Its easy to reproduce, stick any TV out ATI card in a machine, connect
the TV output only (the ATI card defaults to TV only in this case) then
boot the CD .... The kernel comes up all nice then goes black early on
during startup. I had problems with the epia machines and TV out in the
same way, its easy to fix on an installed copy by commenting setsysfont
out - but less easy to work around with the installers ! Annoyingly even
the text install runs setsysfont :-(

Its a shame, because other than this issue the fb mode works fine with
tv out, you could say I watch X on the telly ;-)

Jon