[Possibly OT] Trademarks

Cream[DONut] lists at donut.dk
Tue Jan 11 02:29:24 UTC 2005

Havoc Pennington wrote:

>Changing the configure arguments in the packages and doing an
>Obsoletes/Provides firefox wouldn't take very long, if we need to do it
>someday. So there's no point stressing about hypotheticals. There's
>value to calling it Firefox for now (if only to avoid user confusion)
>and if we have to change it someday, it will cause some problems but
>they'll be the same problems if we change it today.

It does indeed have value, for novice novice pc users like my mom, the
programs and icons on her desktop are the same at home (on FC3), as the
programs and icons at her work (WinXP). The programs are called the same
and works the same way (Open Office, Thunderbird & Firefox).

Having the same programs with different names & icons would only add
confusion.

Changing the names & icons at a "later" stage, would ofcouse add
confusion, but it might be easier to explain that its "just a
namechange" when she have adopted to using it.

Kris "wants a cool sig like Mr. Spaleta".