rawhide report: 20050111 changes

P at draigBrady.com P at draigBrady.com
Tue Jan 11 17:29:51 UTC 2005

Build System wrote:
> New package hardlink
> 	Create a tree of hardlinks.

That's a bad description. I was wondering initially,
how this was different than `cp -al`.
It in fact merges duplicate files in a tree using hardlinks.
It's a nice util, but I've a few questions.

1. Does it really need it's own package?
Couldn't you try to get it included in util-linux
or some place like that?

2. No man page?
At least explain what the options do in usage()!

3. version 1.2 is in extras for ages but 1.0 is at following url?
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/

4. you assume a block size of 4KiB for calculating saved space?

5. It's significantly slower than the findup component of fslint
(which is also in extras). See below:
Note, findup has a -m option formerging with hardlinks also.
Also note the test data was 2 x 2.4.20 kernel trees

[pbrady at pixelbeat fslint]$ time ./findup ~/kernels/ >/dev/null

  real    0m48.719s
  user    0m14.070s
  sys     0m13.990s
[pbrady at pixelbeat fslint]$ time ./findup ~/kernels/ >/dev/null

  real    0m43.601s
  user    0m13.790s
  sys     0m14.660s
[pbrady at pixelbeat fslint]$ time ./findup ~/kernels/ >/dev/null

  real    0m52.549s
  user    0m13.540s
  sys     0m15.270s
$ time ~/hardlink -cnv ~/kernels/ 2>/dev/null

real    1m6.230s
user    0m0.270s
sys     0m1.910s
[pbrady at pixelbeat fslint]$ time ~/hardlink -cnv ~/kernels/ 2>/dev/null

real    1m27.496s
user    0m0.350s
sys     0m2.320s
[pbrady at pixelbeat fslint]$ time ~/hardlink -cnv ~/kernels/ 2>/dev/null

real    1m5.037s
user    0m0.350s
sys     0m2.480s

--