Fedora Core 4

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 16 16:34:18 UTC 2005

> Rudi Chiarito (nutello at sweetness.com) said:
> > > - PPC support
> > >   For your brand spanking new MiniMac, or the p655 under your
> > >   desk.
> >
> > I assume the mention of the p655 means support for ppc AND ppc64? Just
> > asking for a clarification. It's not clear right now which kind of
> > PPC64 hardware can be used for a fresh install. I know because I was
> > checking Raw Hide this very morning.
>
> I believe that's the plan. Note that not *all* 32 or 64-bit PPCs
> may be supported; I wouldn't expect 32-bit RS6Ks to work, for example.

Hmm, that's not because there is lack of interest in those machines.
There are at least a couple of us that are 100% willing to be testers.
I think all we're really missing is a boot.iso that groks a 32-bit CHRP
machine (for the 43p-150 RS6Ks anyway).

Paul Nasrat gave me one a while ago that booted the kernel, but didn't
understand the initrd for some reason.  Others have a kernel, but no
knowledge on how to spin a boot.iso.

Is there a huge potential user base for these machines?  I doubt it.
But it would be cool for those of us still running old copies of SuSE or
Debian.  Can I assume it's mostly just a lack of time that would prevent
these machines from being supported, or is there some other technical
reason that I'm missing?

josh