Using custom startup scripts with rhgb

Gijs Hollestelle g.hollestelle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 16:07:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:42:25 -0500, Nick Bargnesi <nbargnesi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would suggest disabling it too.  A better idea would be to have that
> stuff executing in a cron job during down time.  Remembering my
> University years, I would not have wanted to wait for my workstation
> to retrieve updates.

Thanks for the tips, but this is unfortunatly not possible to do from
cron because some of the updates require a reboot to become active
(but all of this is beyond the scope of this list).

The underlying problem I am trying to address here is the fact that
rhgb has a lot of settings hardcoded into the main.c file, I think it
would be a good idea if the string descriptions of services and
various time-out settings could for example be set using configuration
files instead of requiring a recompile.

Kind regards,
  Gijs

PS I'm using a modified rhgb rpm now, that I have patched to include
the description of my service and that does not switch back to vt 1
after 35 seconds of no pinging.