RFC: Optimizing for 386

Joseph D. Wagner technojoecoolusa at charter.net
Wed Jan 19 16:35:43 UTC 2005

> This is not true. The default optimization is for Pentium 4 class
> processors.

This is not accurate.  gcc has two separate sets of optimizations.  The first (mtune) tunes everything except the ABI.  This is the part that is optimized for the Pentium 4.  The second (march) actually tunes the ABI.  The second is optimized for 386.  In other words, it won't take advantage of any instruction that didn't exist on the original 386.

I would like my ABI, especially for the graphics programs, to be optimized for more modern architecture, like i686.

Joseph D. Wagner