Fedora Core 4

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Jan 20 03:21:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, seth vidal wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 03:48 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> > > Maybe to you... but i have sincere doubts that using smart is helping
> > > to identify real packaging problems that exist.  Has smart helped you
> > > identify and report any rawhide packaging bugs?
> >
> > I don't think smart is intended to be a tool to identify real packaging
> > problems. But there's a nice option that prints all unsatisfied
> > dependencies. And I hope we can extend that dialog with more details of
> > problems.
> >
> > In fact this dialog has helped Dries and me to improve our repository and
> > fix a number of issues 3 days after Smart was released. Smart was also
> > able to tell what old packages were still available that had issues we
> > already fixed.
> >
> > Apart from that, I don't think it's good behaviour to bail out if there is
> > a packaging problem. People may miss important updates just because
> > somewhere, someone made a mistake. It could even be due to a mirror
> > inconsistency, not something that can be fixed by a packager anyway.
>
> I think the situation where it exits with all the problems listed is
> better than cheerily moving along and seemingly finishing completely
> even though not all updates have been applied.

I beg to differ. Security updates may not get installed from the Core
updates because Extras has a problem that could be mirror-related.

I did not say that keeping things silent is the way to go, but bailing out
because of a single problem is imo not a good idea. By default I would not
want to confront my family with issues like that, things they wouldn't
know how to handle anyway. Also people that don't know what it means
often get a wrong perception.

But we do not have to agree on this, there's room for different package
managers.