gcc -m32 failure on FC2 x86_64

Scott Saccone ssaccone at link.wustl.edu
Thu Jan 20 21:42:48 UTC 2005

I'm using the x86_64 of FC2 and FC3 and I cannot use gcc with the -m32
option. Compiling helloworld using gcc -m32 yields "/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o:
No such file: No such file or directory collect2: ld returned 1 exit
status".

Is this because the glibc package has not installed the files needed for
the -m32 option? The file /usr/lib64/crt1.o exists, but not
/usr/lib/crt1.o. I've installed the latest versions of this package with
up2date.

Others have reported this, and have flirted with the idea of installing
files from the i386 version of glibc, but I would prefer to find a
"real" solution.

This is pretty serious problem for me as there are some apps that don't
seem to run with plain gcc - seg faults perhaps due to the assumption of
4 byte pointers. Also in the lastest version GRUB the configure program
fails when it attempts to compile something using -m32.

SPECS:

CPU: 2 x 3.2GHz Xeon Nocona
Linux: 2.6.5-1.358smp
Distro: FC2 x86_64
gcc: 3.3.3 20040412 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.3-7)

and

CPU: AMD64 3400+
Linux: not sure (no access at the moment)
Distro: FC3 x86_64
gcc: not sure