Alien Night vs ksh (was: rawhide report: 20050121 changes)

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Fri Jan 21 17:50:57 UTC 2005

> Removed package ytalk

This is a shame. On a multi-user boxes communicating at the command line
via ytalk is the way to go. Much much better than regular "talk".

> Removed package pdksh

We have a large tutorial that introduces and explorers the features of
various shells that includes coverage of pdksh. I also know of quite a
few gray beards that swear by ksh.

Having ksh or a ksh clone has pretty much been a given on any Unix or
Linux box for a couple decades now. Breaking this expected behavior now
would be extremely unfortunate. Doesn't seem worth it save ~350kb.

If you want to save 350kb, then pick one of the following and ditch it
instead:

/usr/share/wallpapers/alien-night.jpg
/usr/share/wallpapers/kiagara.jpg
/usr/share/wallpapers/Island-of-Elba.jpg

20 years of tradition or alien night?

When brining it back, please consider replacing pdksh with the official
ksh?

http://www.kornshell.com/

It is licensed under the CPL 1.0 which is an OSI approved license.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs