rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 03:51:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:36:20 -0500, Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com> wrote:
> Doesn't debian have some type of "orphaned package" process? We should
> have a look at that.

debian also has longer timescales between releases....

I'm somewhat concerned about when in the development process Red Hat
makes decisions as to what gets orphaned and whether or not there is
going to be enough time for new community members step up, jump
through whatever legal hoops are in place around Extras, earn access
to the build system and produce an Extras package before the next Core
release.  I'd personal rather not have any packages orphaned by Red
Hat maintainers until Extras policy is flushed out. I have a twisted
dark malevolent desire to force Red Hat developers to maintain the the
packages dropped from Core this time around in Extras, as an
experimental group for the Extras process.

I'd really like to have a process with enough lead time so that when
the community learns a package is to be orphaned there is a reasonable
chance that a community member can get a package into Extras before
the next Core is released. While we surely can not gartunee that an
orphaned package will be available in time as an Extras for the next
Core.. i'd hate to see a process where the timescales were such that
we could garunteed that an orphaned package would never be ready in
time. I'd like to make sure that a good-faith effort by a proactive
community member will be rewarded with a package in Extras by the next
Core release.

-jef