further package removals/potential package removals

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun Jan 23 03:48:39 UTC 2005

Jamie Zawinski <jwz at jwz.org> writes:

> For example: I don't use Windows, ever.  This means I don't use Samba.
> But I can't uninstall it, because Nautilus depends on it.  Now, I don't
> use Nautilus either, but I can't just uninstall *that*, because
> control-center depends on it, which I *do* use.

ACK; some packages should be split to avoid such dependencies. 'gnupg'
(which brings 'perl' and 'openldap' into the game (additional 50MB)) and
'kernel' (which wastes 30MB and 6000 inodes of my /) are packages coming
at first into my mind...

> If space is tight, the first thing I do is nuke everything except en_US
> under /usr/share/locale/ and /usr/lib/locale/

Just do 'echo "%_install_langs C:en" >>/etc/rpm/macros' and reinstall
everything (as anaconda neither sets it on fresh installs nor honors it
on upgrades).

Enrico