rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sun Jan 23 06:13:45 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 06:05 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> Ubuntu for x86 is two CD's: one is x86 install and the other one is x86
> Live CD. I'm not 100% sure, but I think only x86 Live CD can be used as
> a rescue CD but x86 install not.

No, I wasn't talking about the Live CD.  Further reading indicates that
the rescue mode is only part of the Hoary pre-release CDs, and not part
of the stable Warty release, which is the only CD I have to play with.

That said, I'm pretty sure the secret is to just keep cutting down the
distro enough.  Jeff is afraid that a one-CD install disk won't leave
from for a rescue - that would happen only if you can manage to get a
good desktop install into ~650MB but no less.  Evidence indicates that
you can in fact get smaller than that with a desktop install.

I suppose one of Ubuntu's tricks is to just not include KDE, though...
(They include it in Universe or Supported, which are similar to Fedora's
Extras, only split between unofficial and official extra packages,
respectively.)