RFC: Soname in rpm name

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Mon Jan 24 12:54:43 UTC 2005

Jeff Johnson wrote:
> So put sonames into package names if that floats your fedora.us boat.
> Sooner or later you will run into kernel file system imposed limits on
> package file names. <shrug>

How many characters could it add ? 2 digits ? 3 digits max ?
How about that :
$ rpm -q bash-completion
bash-completion-0.0-0.fdr.4.20041017

I see your point, adding something else than the name into the package Name
tag is opening the door to crazy things, like configure tags (is there
really a Debian package with configure tags in the name ???).
Still, I think that it could be very beneficial to provide easy upgrade
paths.
I think that the advantages overcome the shorcomings in this situation.

Aurélien
http://gauret.free.fr   ~~~~   Jabber : gauret at amessage.info
"Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'âme." -- Rabelais