further package removals/potential package removals

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 16:07:23 UTC 2005

On Jan 24, 2005, Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> The old way of thinking about this has got to go.  _Moving_ something to
> Extras is not the same thing as removing it from the distro.

Then where's the Extras rawhide tree?  Are we going to have Extras
ISOs rolled out along with the test releases?  Without this, Extras
just won't get as much testing because they're not going to work with
rawhide or test releases.  And for people who depend on packages from
Extras, this means they're less likely to run the test releases or
track rawhide, which means less testing.

Unless Extras is really part of the distro infrastructure, instead of
a dump of packages people don't want in the core distro, the quality
of the distro as a whole is going to suffer.

> We have got to stop thinking of moving something to Extras as removing
> it from the distro.  Core is not the distro, it is merely a part of the
> distro.  Extras is another part.

+1

I really hope we're going to see FC4 Extras test1 CD go out on the
same day as FC4test1, and even have snapshots of them a few days
before to sanity-check before the actual test release.