further package removals/potential package removals

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Mon Jan 24 16:52:24 UTC 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 11:37, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:23:46 -0500, Gene C. <czar at czarc.net> wrote:
> > I believe that the installer (anaconda) should support installation ONLY
> > from Core.
>
> Installation only?  or upgrades as well?
> Cleally the fresh install case isnt the problem... its the Core upgrade
> case. Doing a 2 stage install is trivial... a 2 stage upgrade on the other
> hand is somewhat complex, since anconda will have to leave every 3rd party
> or extras package in place with broken deps until first boot can be run in
> your scheme.  You have to delibrately leave your system in an inconsistent
> state when you reboot into it  and pray that the
> reboot works even though the system is in an inconsistent state.

Oops, you are correct that I was not considering an upgrade.  If we need to
handle upgrades where packages have been moved from Core to Extras but not
removed entirely, then a Fedora distribution will need to always be
Core+Extras.  Is this what we want?  Is this the intended direction by Fedora
developers?

I do not have answers myself and the intended direction by the folks who
"control what Fedora is" is not clear to me.
--
Gene